Saturday, June 21, 2008

Adapting to the "Wild West"

I have lived and paddled in the south all of my life; therefore, my three week paddling expedition to Idaho is a step--no, leap--out of my "southern comfort" zone. The traces of luscious green Carolina mountains do not exist in this dry, tumbleweed climate, and my definition of a class III rapid has dramatically changed. While paddling down the Middle Fork of the Boise (class II+ rapids), Harry (also from the south) looked at me with wild eyes and said, "THIS is class II?!" Indeed it was; although, to us southern paddlers many rapids felt more like class III rapids. The eddy lines are much larger and swirlier, which has definitely given me some trouble. My instability will evolve over time into stability--just as it did when I was a beginner--and the confidence I have in myself and my paddling is sure to increase. Regardless of all of the changes--the big water, barren mountains, the chilly nights and mornings, and the extremely dry climate--I know that this trip will be a life changing experience for myself as a paddler, leader, and person. I am pushing myself beyond my limits on the river, learning and practicing the concept of Leave No Trace, and further developing my skills as leader. I cannot wait to see what unfolds in the next two weeks of the trip, and will enjoy reflecting on my adaptation to the "Wild West."

-maggie

No comments: